Community Development Director
Community Development provides service delivery in support of total community development and revitalization. The Department manages federal, state and local funds supporting programs and services that benefit residents, commercial corridors, business and industry, and the downtown district, among other targeted areas and sites in the City. These programs address housing needs, job creation and retention, brownfield redevelopment, riverfront revitalization, and community reinvestment through established partnerships in the community.
Community Development is also responsible for direct community promotion efforts, actively participates in community and regional planning, and oversees the operations at the Hastings Industrial Incubator. The department staff assists the Zoning Administrator and Planning Consultant with the Planning responsibilities for the City. Community Development serves as staff and coordinates projects and budgets for the DDA, LDFA and BRA.
Actively pursue grants to provide additional resources to fund capital projects and improve services to the community.
to research and identify grants applicable to the implementation of the
Work with industry to retain existing jobs and to create new jobs within the City.
1. Complete a minimum of two retention visits each month.
Aggressively market the City of
3. Provide timely responses to all inquiries from potential businesses.
4. Work with City Assessor to prepare tax incentives upon request and when appropriate.
1. Develop and sustain a good working relationship with State and Federal Agencies that provide incentives for or that may impact job growth through their policy and programs.
Continue to work closely with the Downtown Development Authority to raise funds necessary to encourage and support a safe and navigable Streetscape, to continue to beautify its district, to create a marketable image, to encourage sustainable and best land use development and to provide adequate parking. Analyze, develop and implement programs for marketing and revitalizing the buildings, infrastructure and businesses in the downtown area, including completion and implementation of marketing/promotional studies, building façade improvement programs, and financial incentive programs, and other programs as deemed appropriate.
1. Continue to implement the comprehensive development plan for the downtown.
2. Continue to develop a projected capital improvements plan to aid in prioritized project development.
3. Continue to implement the marketing plan and fund associated initiatives
4. Fully support the River East Development/HMC Site Redevelopment project.
5. Seek additional streetscape, way finding and marketing grants to supplement local investments in projects, increasing capacity to develop larger or additional projects
Continue to aggressively market the façade improvement grant and loan programs. Continue to research opportunities available for the downtown through initiatives at the State and Federal level.
1. Actively recruit new business opportunities and provide timely follow up to all inquiries.
2. Create farmers market committee and work toward establishing a year round market in a permanent structure.
3. Develop incentives that encourage the re-investment in the upper stories of commercial buildings in the Downtown.
4. Develop partnerships with existing organizations that provide services and resources to small businesses and assist with the marketing and utilization of such services by our business owners.
5. Continue to partner with other organizations (Arts Council and Chamber) to sponsor events designed to increase public awareness and the number of people that visit.
Continue to support the Incubator project.
1. Continue to market the available space at the incubator.
2. Develop a routine maintenance program for grounds, building and equipment.
3. Work to create a professional environment by cleaning, repairing and or replacing deteriorated finishes.
4. Consider a more permanent division of space, utilities and access by individual tenants.
5. Consider an energy audit and the addition on of a new more efficient heating system in the manufacturing area.
6. Provide support for the current tenants as needed.
Continue to work on a
countywide basis to encourage cooperation among local governmental
jurisdictions to promote and foster economic development in
1. Participate in regularly scheduled monthly meetings with Economic Alliance Director in an effort to coordinate activities.
2. Attend retention visits as scheduled by the MEDC with the BCEDA as they occur in the City or within close proximity to the City in surrounding Townships.
Continue regional planning activities with
Pursue joint planning and zoning regulations between
Continue to support the Local Development Finance Authority and Brownfield Redevelopment Authority to assist with development or redevelopment of industrial, commercial and other sites.
1. Create a short and long term plan for the LDFA.
2. Aggressively market the Industrial Park.
3. Improve upon the optioning of Industrial Park Lots to ensure timely development of the property and to limit missed opportunity.
4. Identify all potential brownfield sites in the City. Work with the BRA to prioritize the sites and create a detailed work plan to support the cleanup and reuse.
5. Continue to seek funding at the federal level for brownfield assessment or cleanup. If awarded, utilize funds granted to the County for assessments.
6. Work to access funding available at the State level to expand public infrastructure in support of new business development.
7. Fully support the River East Development/HMC Site Redevelopment project.
Work to finish the
infrastructure for the
1. Research the availability of additional property.
2. Work with current businesses holding options on industrial park parcels.
3. Pursue grants for infrastructure as needed.
4. Redevelop and market excess City owned property
Work with the Chamber and
other civic groups to promote the City of
1. Partner with the Chamber of Commerce to enhance existing and to implement new downtown events.
2. Attend ribbon-cutting ceremonies when appropriate.
3. Continue as an active member on community marketing committees.
4. Explore other partnership opportunities.
Continue to promote parks and open space by developing the Riverwalk Project. Utilize local service clubs, scout groups, and other volunteers to assist in development of the Riverwalk and related improvement to the fullest extent possible.
1. Continue to pursue grant monies that would provide for the expansion of the trail to the southeast city limits.
2. Pursue other funding opportunities.
3. Create a new 2008 parks and recreation plan.
4. Design new events to include the parks.
5. Continue to implement infrastructure improvements supporting walkable community efforts
Continue to evaluate the potential to adaptively reuse or market underutilized or vacant City owned buildings or properties
1. Develop plan for use of old library and water plant.
2. Solicit developers to consider redevelopment of vacant buildings and land owned by the City.
Provide zoning code review and enforcement assistance to the Zoning Administrator and to staff when warranted to help in the promotion of a proactive approach to the development and enforcement of the City of Hastings Code of Ordinances as they relate to sound promotion of community and economic development.
1. Work with the Code Enforcement Officer to increase strategic code enforcement activities.
2. Provide assistance to citizens and organizations located within the jurisdiction of the City of Hastings Code of Ordinances to inform them of the Code requirements and promote compliance.
3. Provide support services to monitor compliance with code requirements and provide a mechanism for enforcement action when necessary.
4. When warranted, monitor the success of the code enforcement program and report deficiencies within the program to the Zoning Administrator.
Serve as the staff liaison to the Planning Commission.
Work to complete and implement a new Comprehensive
Community Plan for the City of
2. Develop and distribute Commission packets on a timely basis.
3. Provide input in the site plan review process.
4. Develop and implement training for members.